Creating movies of cellular interactions, while working round some installation problems with UNIX tools on Panther. No Fink involved.
- Use ImageJ and the Batch Converter plugin to convert 12-bit TIFFs to 8-bit TIFFs.
- Install libpng and libtiff.
- Install ImageMagick using './configure --without-perl --enable-lzw=yes'
- cd into the PerlMagick subdirectory and install using 'perl Makefile.pl' etc. For some reason this worked, but installing as part of the main ImageMagick install didn't.
- This is the Perl script I use to merge the images. First image is green, second is red and third is brightfield. Adapt as needed (it's a bit hacky, but it works). Black.tiff is just a plain black image, as I haven't worked out how to create one in PerlMagick yet.
- Use Graphic Converter to convert the new folder of images into a QuickTime movie. I use MPEG-4 compression, same size as original image, 8 frames per second, no keyframe.
- Play in QuickTime Player, Powerpoint, or whatever you prefer.