- Fetch the data needed from the Neighbourhood Statistics API and save it locally in a database.
- Get the 2001 Census boundary shapefile for England wards from UKBORDERS.
- Run a script that reads in the .dbf (dBase) file from the shapefile, adds a column for each set of data, then for each ward adds the corresponding data. Resave the dbf file.
- Run GMapCreator and open the shapefile. Select the desired data set from the drop-down menu. Open the colour settings ('Cols...' button), select Transition > Query > Set Groups, choose how many discrete groups to use. Set the colours for each group manually.
- Move the maximum zoom level slider up to 9 and press 'Create'. Make a new directory to hold the tiles and start the export process. When it's finished, File > Save Settings to save the settings file in the directory above the newly created tile export directory. Edit some fields in the settings XML file: 'maptitle' to what you want the map's title to be, 'createdir' to point to the directory where the tiles were exported.
- Upload the settings XML file and tiles folder to your server.
- Sign in to MapTube, create a new map and point it to your settings XML file. It should detect the tile images and show a preview. Fill in the title and description fields, then save the map.
I've updated the example PHP code attached to the earlier post.